Monday 24 October 2016

Lean In - by Sheryl Sandberg

 As Sandberg was nervous to write this book so I was to read it...

Hard to admit since I've thought I was a pretty big supporter of women can do whatever they want... at the same time, I cannot deny that I've been bogged down by all the propaganda about what a woman should and shouldn't be in society. Through this book I came to a realization, I, like the majority of society, somehow innately believe woman should be super heroes who stay at home with kids, but still manage to have a career, cook, clean, be super sweet/kind, and can't run. - due to this stigma, I, myself, have not wanted to identify with other females, feeling limited and unchallenged. Reminding me of that Dove soap commercial where they asked women to demonstrate what it meant to run like a girl. - Apparently it meant to give a pathetic attempt at it, and that's what girls thought! Needless to say, the book was a bit of a revelation to me.

I knew that it was a little bit more difficult for women, but I didn't know the numbers, and I never thought we weren't leaning-in. I didn't know or recognize that I put my hand down, and often don't think I deserve promotions/opportunities when they come my way. I didn't feel entitled... which is ironic because, as I've learnt, most men do.

I've enjoyed and flourished under strong female leadership, and companies with female CEOs in the past, and I haven't thought much of it. I've even biasedly thought that women leaders were typically smarter then male leaders. But, I've never thought of us, females, as a team. A team I can contribute to and support no matter what level. I think that's significant. As women, we have to play a different game to get where/what we want, Sandberg gives women the tools to do that in this book. To approach situations in the right way.

Lastly, I want to mention how beautiful her comments of love and appreciation for her husband were. I was so touched I decided to google her and her husband... I was heart broken when I did. Sending love, and warm thoughts Sheryl's way!


Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

The conversation has begun on my end!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment